Thursday, September 30, 2010

Homeschooling can be all fun and games!

I have been a member of the homeschooling world for over five years now. I've had my fair share of mistakes and victories.

I have learned, the hard way, that sitting down and doing worksheet after worksheet after worksheet doesn't work. Especially for the really busy kids! They get bored, you get frustrated and it all ends up with tears--on both sides!

The fact is kids learn better when using different senses at once. Things like singing memory verses can help trigger better memory. Counting objects like pennies and stacking blocks can help with math skills just as much if not more than the drill sheets or flash cards. Going on nature walks and actually looking and touching different plants gives a bigger impression than reading from a book.

And then there are games. And no I am not talking about those 'learning' games you see in the education stores that scream' school'. No, I am talking the fun games--Scrabble, Yatzee, Uno, even Texas Hold 'em. Believe it or not, kids learn from these games.

Think about Scrabble. You are using spelling, vocabulary (looking up odd words) and math (adding your score) all at once. And it's FUN! If your child has issues with spelling, lay a game of travel and award 'bonus points' (we award 100) for using a current spelling word. Voila--spelling lesson done without drills!

Math is even easier--Texas Hold 'Em  (addition), Yatzee (multiplication, addition) and chess (logic and planning).

Video games and apps can also apply--Tetris uses numerous thinking skills--processing, planning. Fun and challenging for the brain!

An added bonus to games (beside that FUN factor), the tactile senses are used more, sportsmanship and, of course, conversation.

Granted games cannot replace all learning but they can a great reward to a child after a busy day or a big push to help that kid that just will not sit still and listen--not like I have any kid like that.

2 comments:

  1. I need to be sooo much better and play games with our boys :( I usually get sooo frustrated! I just need to take a breath and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard! Don't stress too much on it. Just play a casual game--match and chutes and ladders are good for younger guys :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post! Thank you for taking the time to share! Love, me